Eggplant (small) 500 gms
Sesame seeds 2 tbsps.
Peanuts 3 tbsps.
Cumin powder 1 tsp.
Dry Red chili whole 2
Chopped onion ½ Cup
Tamarind (seedless) 30 gms.
Curry leaves 8 - 10 nos.
Green chili 3
Fenugreek seeds ½ tsp.
Turmeric powder 1 tsp.
Mustard seeds 1 tsp.
Oil for deep frying –
Salt To taste
1. Wash and slit the eggplants (Baingan) into quarters without removing the stem.
2. Deep fry in medium hot oil till brown in colour.
3. Lightly roast the peanuts and sesame seeds. Grind peanuts, sesame seeds
and red chilies to a smooth paste. Slit green chilies and cut into one inch long
4. Boil tamarind in 1 cup of water for 5 minutes and strain to get tamarind pulp.
5. Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan. Add mustard and fenugreek seeds. When
mustard seeds start to splutter, add curry leaves and chopped onions. Cook till
golden brown and add peanuts and sesame paste. Stir constantly.
6. Add turmeric powder, green chilies and cumin powder. Season with salt. Add 2
cups of water, bring it to boil and add tamarind pulp. Add fried eggplants and
cook on dum on a slow flame for 15 minutes.
Tip: You can add fresh coconut also. In that case make a paste of grated fresh coconut with peanuts, sesame and red chilies