Varmahalakshmi festival is obserbed on 2nd friday of shravana masam in most parts of India.Mainly karnataka, Andhra, Orissa, maharastra and Tamil nadu. Lakshmi is Goddess of wealth and prosperity. Lakshmi is worshipped in 8 superior forms.
I made suguntulu,sundal and puliyogre for pooja naivedyam
Rice flour- 1 cup
Uradh dhal-1 cup( soak uradh dal in water overnight or for atleast 2-3 hrs)
Poornam- made from jaggery and tur dal( Recipe follows)
Oil- for deep frying
- Grind uradh dhal to a thick paste.
- Mix rice flour with warm water and combine rice flour and urad dal mixture to idli batter consistency by adding salt and keep aside.
- Meanwhile prepare for pooranam
Jaggery- 1 cup
Tur dal- 1 cup
water- 5 cups
oil- 2 tbspns
Turmeric- 1/2 tspn
Cardomom powder- 1/2 tspn
- In a bowl. Add water and bring it to boil. Add tur dal and oil and turmeric. keep it in medium flame. Boil until tur dal is broken little. Take out from the flame and remove the water from tur dal.
- Add jaggery and mix it well and keep it on medium flame again for 10 mins until the jaggery dissolves with tur dal and it becomes liek a stickyconsistency.
- Let the mixture cool down
- Grind it in a mixer in to a smooth paste and add cardoimom powder and keep aside.
Now make small balls out of pooranam. Dip it inside that urad and rice mixture.
carefully drop it in hot oil. Fry it in medium flame for that golden color.
Serve hot or cold!!! it tastes yummy. Festival sweet has to be yummy.